Mary, Mary Quite Contrary

Mary Mary quite contrary,

How does your garden grow?

With silver bells and cockle shells

And pretty maids all in a row.






Thursday, June 7, 2012

More About Getting Started

I used a calendar to chart when I planted everything, counted the days until germination, made a post on the calendar, and also marked the date when harvest was to be expected according to the yield date on the seed package.  I thought this would help me determine planting dates for 2013 as well as when to know when my vegetables are fully grown and ready to pick.
 
On another page here on the site I will eventually be showing a chart which will include the calendar and specific variety of each seed and plant.  Eventually I will comment on the selection, yield and if I recommend it and if I will use that variety again.

One thing I did not do that Richard Smith suggested was to use all self watering pots or prepare the pots better for growing especially in the warmer climates like South Carolina.  In South Carolina things tend to dry out rapidily, especially with the warm year we have been having so far.  He warned that since container gardening pots dry out sooner than ground gardens that we would find we have to water more frequently.  This is very true!  And now I find I should have prepared my pots/soil better to include self watering techniques.  ***Next year I will prepare my pots better.***  
There are ways to provide your plants with proper drainage. 

1.  Use any pot, then place about 3 to 4 inches of styrofoam shipping peanuts in the bottom of each pot, then put the soil on top of it. It allows a basin of water for the roots to reach when they begin to dry out, yet doesnt leave your plants soggy.  Each pot needs to have proper drainage with holes just above the "styro-peanut" line.  
Or    
2.  Use self watering pots. (which are more expensive)  I am sure there are other "methods" or "tricks" to create "self watering" pots.

Easter Dinner
with Mixed Green Salad from Garden

Filling my pots with soil and planting all the seeds and plants was a lot of fun. I started them in mid March on my screened porch, put the pots in large black garbage bags to germinate and protect from frost and put them outside on nice sunny days. This worked well even with the frosty nights still occuring. People cautioned me about planting too early, but I just smiled, was stubborn and thought...."watch me, I will have an early garden" ....and basically, I got lucky and am harvesting in April. (Lettuce & Spinach)  We actually had lettuce and spinach for a salad out of my garden for our Easter dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment